Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is a centrally established, ambitious and effective scheme proposed for helping out people with housing facilities. The scheme is entitled to certain sections of the society based on their income like EWS, LIG, and MIG. This scheme is divided into two components – PMAY Urban and PMAY Rural.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban:
- 1 Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban:
- 2 Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Rural:
- 3 Subsidy for PMAY Urban:
- 4 Subsidy for PMAY Rural:
This mission seeks to solve the problem of housing requirement for slum dwellers in the urban areas.
Eligibility criteria for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana for Urban:
- Economically Weaker Section (EWS): Families that have annual income up to INR 3 lakh are covered under EWS.
- Low Income Group(LWS): Families that have an annual income between INR 3 lakh and INR 6 lakh are covered under LWS
- Middle Income Group 1(MIG-1): Families that have an annual income between INR 6 lakh and INR 12 lakh are covered under MIG-1
- Middle Income Group 2(MIG-2): Families that have an annual income between INR 12 lakh and INR 18 lakh are covered under MIG-2
- Minority Groups: The minority groups like SC, ST, OBC should provide their caste certificates in order to avail the benefits of the scheme
- If the beneficiary is a family, then it should comprise of a husband, a wife, and unmarried children (if any).
Features of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana for urban:
- This scheme is set to address the housing requirements of the slum dwellers in the urban areas through 4 vertical implementation proposals.
- “In Situ” Slum Redevelopment option implies redeveloping slums irrespective of the land (i.e. Central government land/State government land or ULB land or private land) on which it exists so that housing facilities can be provided to the slum-dwellers.
- In Affordable Housing CLSS, The carpet area of houses that will be constructed should be 30 sq-m for EWS category and up to 60 sq-m for LIG category. Under this scheme, preference is given to manual scavengers, women, people belonging to SC, ST, OBC and other backward classes, transgenders, people with disabilities and minorities.
- Affordable housing in partnership option stands to provide financial assistance of INR 1.5 lakh per EWS house that is built under the States/UTs/Cities.
- Beneficiary-led individual house construction provides guidance to the EWS section of the population to either construct houses or restructure existing ones.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Rural:
Also called Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana or Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin, this scheme serves to provide housing facilities to the rural, deprived, poor people living in underdeveloped villages in India.
Eligibility for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana for rural:
- There is no online registration form for the application process for PMAY rural. The beneficiaries for the scheme are decided by the Gram Sabha based on the data collected in the national level census conducted in 2011.
- The census was named Socio-Economic and Caste Census of 2011 because its job is to draft the list of all socially backward class of people in order to categorise the list of beneficiaries under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana scheme.
- If the list released by the Gram Sabha contains the applicant’s name, then he/she is entitled to the benefits assured under the PMAY rural scheme.
Features of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana for rural:
- The solid and liquid wastes from the households are managed under PMAY-G
- NRDWP will provide drinking water to houses under PMAY-G scheme
- The funds are transferred to the beneficiaries electronically.
- The beneficiaries of PMAY-G scheme are provided with good quality cooking fuel.
- The total expenditure of PMAY-G is estimated to be INR 60,000 crore
- To ensure correct selection of beneficiaries, there are advanced technologies like information communication and space technology.
Besides the difference in the public, both the scheme’s target is described under eligibility for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana for urban and eligibility for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana for rural. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban and Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Rural also differ in the rate of subsidy they offer.
Subsidy for PMAY Urban:
Under the credit linked subsidy scheme, EWS and LIG are allowed a subsidy rate of 6.5% on a home loan of INR 6 lakh. Similarly, the MIG-1 category is allowed a subsidy of 4% on a home loan of INR 9 lakh and MIG-2 category are allowed a subsidy of 3% on a home loan of INR 12 lakh.
Subsidy for PMAY Rural:
Under the credit-linked subsidy scheme, a subsidy of 3% on a home loan of up to Rs. 2 lakh is allowed.
The main reason for dividing a single scheme into two parts was to ensure complete attention and responsibility towards the associated region and public sector. In this manner, the two different administrations can concentrate on their respective duties and the workload need not be distributed among them. The two schemes PMAY rural and PMAY urban may be two separate wings, but they both serve a common purpose i.e. to support and provide the people with all the necessary resources they need to fulfil their dream of owning a property.